June 1, 2011

Author Visit from Elana Johnson

Possession

Possession by Elana Johnson
Hardcover to be published June 7th 2011
416 Pages


Summary from Goodreads
Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.
This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.
 
 
Have I mentioned what a fan of the Dystopian genre I am? I'm thrilled to be able to host this Author Visit from Elana Johnson!
 
 
1. While I was reading Possession one question kept replaying in my head – “Who are the bad guys?” I think this question is very relevant to many conflicts in the world today and how media and society play a role in shaping our perceptions. Was this a theme you intended for the book?

Yes, absolutely! We all have different versions of what is “bad” and what is “good.” It’s why there are different people telling us different things in politics, the media, etc. I think it’s important for people to be educated about what they’re being told, and that was definitely a theme in POSSESSION.

2. Favourite thing about Vi? Something you dislike about her?

I love that Vi is soft and strong at the same time. She says things she shouldn’t, but then feels bad about them, you know?
Something I really don’t like about her: She can’t make a decision. That indecisiveness isn’t really her fault, but it drives me nuts.

3. Vi rebels against the rules- what’s a rule you’ve broken?

oh, just every speed limit law from here to the Atlantic Ocean. I really, really like to drive fast.

4. What drew you to writing in the Dystopian Genre?


I like the open-endedness of dystopian. As an author, I can really go anywhere and do anything I want, as long as I build the society to make it so. That intrigues me, and I like imagining futuristic settings. So dystopia feels natural to me.

I also love reading dystoipan literature, and discovering what other people have imagined. Sometimes I wish I was them, but for the most party, I’m just glad the dystopian craze hit at the right time for me and my book.

5. Your favourite type of books to read?

I like books that are filled with emotion. It could come in a contemporary package, a science fiction novel, an urban fantasy, a dystopia. No matter what genre, I like to read about characters that feel things deeply.

6. Anything else you’d like readers to know? Upcoming events?

Oh, there’s probably something… How about that I intended POSSESSION to be exactly what it is. No sequel. No companion. So at the end of the book, after you read it, try to remember that. And maybe assign it a different label besides “cliffhanger.” Or just do whatever you want. Ha! *grins*

As for upcoming events, my virtual launch party for POSSESSION is on Thursday, June 16. It’s for everyone, worldwide, and there will be prize packages, a livestreaming session, giveaways on twitter and in the forum, and more! It’s going to be awesome. Anyone can participate here: www.insidetheresistance.com

I’m also going to be at ALA from June 25 – 28 in New Orleans. I have other local Utah author events and signings.
Elana Johnson

You can always see what I’m up to here: http://elanajohnson.blogspot.com/p/appearances.html

Thanks so much Elana!!!
Be sure to check out Possession June 7th!!

2 comments:

  1. *TEARS*

    No sequel??? That is horribly depressing for me... Vi and Jag belong together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote POSSESSION intending it to be a stand-alone. But see this post for news: http://elanajohnson.blogspot.com/2011/06/q-will-possession-have-sequel-yes.html

    ReplyDelete