November 7, 2011

Book Review: Hold Me Closer Necromancer by Lish McBride

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride
Published Oct 12 2010 by Henry Holt and Co.
Hardcover 352 pages
Reviewed from library copy

Summary
Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he’s doing all right—until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.
Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers.  And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else.
With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin?

A William C Morris Debut Award Finalist it had a  lot to offer; funny, corny, dark, clever and I couldn't put it down.
Sam is a loveable character, and I rooted for him for the beginning. Initially I had an issue with how ok he seemed with all the freaky things happening around him. But after reading the book as a whole, his attitude toward everything seemed to fit in the big picture.
This was so much more than I expected. I love when that happens. The story has great cross-over appeal for boys and girls, though I'd say it's def. for older teens.


Quotes I Loved:


“Most people felt lost after high school. Sometimes I felt like I'd never really been found in the first place.”


"On top of all that, you're naked. And while I'm going to hate myself for this later, could you put on some clothes? At least just for a little while, so I can think. Then you can go right back to being naked. All the time. With my full blessing.” 


Highly recommended.

4 comments:

  1. So happy to see you enjoyed it too, Jen! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard of this one a while ago and am interested in reading it. Glad you enjoyed it :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was originally interested in this book because of it's interesting and unique title but it also sounds really good. Hopefully I can read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one has been on my radar for a while and I'm glad that you liked it! I loved finding books that are more than what we expected!! Sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete