July 30, 2012

Book Review: First Day On Earth by Cecil Castellucci

Cecil Castellucci
First Day On Earth by Cecil Castellucci
Published by September 2011 by Scholastic Press
Reviewed from finished copy provided by publisher.

Summary
A startling, wonderful novel about the true meaning of being an alien in an equally alien world.
"We are specks. Pieces of dust in this universe. Big nothings.
"I know what I am."
Mal lives on the fringes of high school. Angry. Misunderstood. Yet loving the world -- or, at least, an idea of the world.
Then he meets Hooper. Who says he's from another planet. And may be going home very soon.
My Thoughts
  Mal is an outsider. He sits on the outskirts of activity at school. At home he is the care taker of his alcoholic mom. He also believes he was abducted by Aliens, left only with the scattered memories of those experiences. He’s alone in a world he feels he can not escape.
“There is a question that I always ask myself. I ask it many times during the day. How far away from here is far away enough? How far away would I be willing to go? My answer is always the same. You? I’d bet you’d think the moon was far away enough. I say the moon is still too close”pg16
  First Day On Earth is a short read; but it’s a powerful one. A mere 148 pages, it packs in such strength, and beauty and rawness. I think so many can relate to that feeling of not belonging, and the author captures it perfectly here. I love Cecil Castellucci’s writing style.
A book for teens and adults alike, there is much to experience and learn from this amazing novel.



2 comments: