September 17, 2012

Review: Wonder by R.J Palacio

wonder
Wonder by R.J Palacio
Published by Knopf Books for Young Readers
February 14th 2012 –313 pages
Source: Reviewed from personal copy

Summary:

“I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse” 
August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?


My Thoughts:

  Firstly, I can not believe this is a debut. Wow. just wow. What a powerful, unforgettable  story.  There is not too much to say other than this is a book for everyone. Within the pages we meet the the beautiful soul of Auggie as he experiences and adjusts to his first year going to a regular school. Told through various perspectives, as readers we learn so much about humanity, cruelty and kindness through the eyes of this young boy. If you share one book with your children, family, or friends –let it be this one.

2 comments:

  1. This book was so emotionally charged and beautifully written. I love Auggie! I have recommended this book to everyone I can think of. Strangers in book stores have heard me sing WONDER's praises. My friends, my book club, my kid's 5th grade teacher - all reading it - all loving it!

    http://literarylunchbox.blogspot.com/2012/07/wonder.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasnt it just lovely.... I cant stop talking about it

    ReplyDelete